Sinclair Cycling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Results of my first 10 mile Belmont Time Trial

Go down

Results of my first 10 mile Belmont Time Trial Empty Results of my first 10 mile Belmont Time Trial

Post  Mark Berry Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 am

At age 43 and 351/365th I rode in my first time trial. When I first planned to do the time trial the previous month, my goal was to average 18mph for the entire 10 mile course; which would equal out to a time of 33min 20sec (33:20). I missed that time trial which gave me an additional month to prepare.

With the additional month of training I adjusted my goal to somewhere between 19-20mph average. At 20mph my time would be exactly 30:00. Twenty some odd years ago I rode a 20 mile course in exactly one hour or 20mph so I figured 20mph was doable for 10 miles.

The weather was perfect, although I suppose you could argue that a slightly cooler temperature would be ideal, but the 87 degrees we rode in was not over heating anyone to say the least! Wind was not a huge factor, though the ride out did benefit from a slight tail wind meaning the last 15 minutes was into a slight head wind and it showed on my cyclometer!

26 riders began the time trial; and all 26 finished (which doesn’t necessarily always happen due to mechanical and physical failures on the course).
In a time trial, each rider must ride alone; no drafting allowed. To facilitate this and to make time keeping easier at the finish line each rider starts off at one minute intervals.
I was 10th in line which meant that the first rider off had a 9 minute head start by the time I left the start finish line! About ½ mile before the 5 mile turn around, I caught the first rider off; having made up that 9 minute gap in just under 15 minutes of riding. Did I mention that the first rider off was 6 years old? Additional, pertinent, information would include the fact that somewhere at about the 3rd mile I was passed by the rider who started two back from me, meaning he’d made up a two minute gap on me in just 3 miles! About a minute later, the 60ish gent with the pot belly passed me having made up the 1 minute gap I had on him at the start. He opened up about a one minute gap ahead of me but I nearly reeled him in at the finish making back a few seconds anyway. I think he finished in 29:10 about a minute and forty seconds ahead of my time, but only 40 seconds ahead of my sight!

Out of 26 riders I placed 25th, beating the crap out of that snot nosed, six year old, little show off; who by the way won the raffle for a free dinner at The Blossom Trail Café, I hate that kid! The next closest rider to me and in 23rd place had a time of 30:40, ten seconds faster than my 30:50 (he looked to be about my age). Not a single other rider went over 30:00; most of the times ranging in the 23-27 minute range! The fastest rider finished in 22 minutes and something; that’s better than 26mph for the 10 mile ride!

My time of 30:50 comes out to an average pace of 19.5mph for 10 miles; nearly exactly my goal!

This is a perfect example of why time trials are such a great way to gauge your progress on the bicycle. I set a goal of between 19-20mph and averaged 19.5mph! I WON! You don’t have to be the fastest rider that day; you just have to be faster than your previous ride to show improvement. Hopefully I was sandbagging a bit so I can smoke that time next month!

My goal for next month is to go under 30:00. I’ll have to cut nearly a full minute (50 seconds) off my time but this gives me a great incentive to push harder when I train.
If you’ve never tried a time trial you’re missing out on a great opportunity to push your limits and see what you can do. Not everyone can ride a 100 mile century in one day or race in the Tour de France, but EVERYONE can ride in a time trial. I hope to see YOU out there next month!

MB
Mark Berry
Mark Berry

Back to top Go down